Friday, November 12, 2010

Week of British Beers - Part 3


Combined Harvest, overall
very disappointing
Last up this week for the week of British beers is Bateman's Combined Harvest. I was looking forward to trying this beer as it is slightly unusual. Unusual in the fact that it uses four different kinds of malted grains. It uses Barley, Wheat, Oats and Rye.

The beer pours a clear amber colour with a loose white head. Very sweet and malty aroma with a floral aroma of English hops. Light to medium bodied with an appropriately low level of carbonation. Although this beer focuses on the diversity of grains used, and you would expect this to result in a grainy, complex flavour, I have to say that I find this quite weak and disappointing. You get a sweet malty body that is bookended by the floral hops and a mild bitterness.

Overall very disappointing, light, sweet and not very interesting. Not undrinkable, just uninteresting! Not a beer I will be buying again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very organised! I don't think I ever manage to plan this well. Usually I find out I don't have the hop I thought I did 5 minutes before it's supposed to go in! It looks a bit like my dad's holiday packing list (he is more scatty than I am if possible)