Monday, September 13, 2010

AG #2 - Steam Punk - Revisited

I will be the first to admit that one of my weaknesses as a brewer is my lack of patience. I tend to want to get my beers through fermentation and conditioning as soon as possible and never seem to allow beers to develop. Back in the first week in June I bottled my second ever All Grain beer (Steam Punk) and managed to keep back a few bottles which I enjoyed last night.

My conclusion when reviewing this beer at the end of June was that it lacked a decent level of bitterness and that if I was honest it was probably not a beer I would brew again, however 10 weeks later my opinion has changed somewhat.

The beer pours a dark golden colour with a slight red hue. The head dissipates quickly to leave a thin white head. Hops and bready malts are both apparent on the nose, light bodied with a nice level of carbonation. This has developed into a nice smooth beer, the hops have become slightly subdued but a slight pepperiness is still present. Very clean taste and immensely drinkable. This beer has certainly enhanced with age and is something that I think I would brew again. The one thing I would probably alter would be to add some citrus hops, maybe Amarillo, into secondary to give it a nice fresh citrus zing.

No comments: