Monday, July 5, 2010

AG #3: ISO Standard Stout - First Taste Test

Having tasted the sample of my ISO Standard Stout when I was kegging it I was really looking forward to tasting the beer once it had been carbonated. The stout has been force carbonating for five days at 11psi and so this evening I pulled the first pint.

ISO Standard Stout, certainly my
best brew to date
It pours a jet black with a large tan head. The head dissipates to leave a thin creamy collar. The aroma is dominated by the roasted malts, with the roasted barley and chocolate malt very much to the fore. Very smooth mouthfeel with a nice creamy characteristic. Medium bodied with a slightly dry finish. The key thing that makes this beer so good is how 'standard' it is, it is really well balanced and at 4% is a really good session beer.

This is the first time that I have used a liquid yeast in my brew and so I would be interested in brewing this with a Danstar Nottingham dry yeast to say what flavour characteristics the Irish Ale yeast contributed.

Very, very happy with this beer, certainly my best brew to date. I would not consider changing the grain bill for future versions (of which there will be many), but I would possibly up the hops slightly and maybe try brewing it with a different yeast.

I will be bringing a few bottles of this to my homebrew meeting next week with the guys from IrishCraftBrewer.com and so it will be interesting to see what they make of it.

No comments: